Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Q94 – Civil War Re-Enactment I or CWR I - Quilt

Good Day,

Well we’re about a month beyond the 150th Anniversary of the American Civil War, but better late than never. Our new original Quilt is Civil War Re-Enactment I, or CWR I for short, is now complete… and are we ever pleased.



CWR I is sort of a labor of history and a work of care and regard. CWR I is our original design, but it is a compilation of parts and constructions that have existed for years, and could be credited, all-things-being-equal to the Civil War era and times.

My first intent was to create a reproduction of a quilt that was made and produced about the time of the great event. In my research and search for actual designs that may have been constructed during that time frame, there appears to be a very small number in safe-keeping. Many were destroyed, and many were used to cover up casualties and subsequently were buried with the soldiers' remains. The number quilts that were made during the War has been estimated in about 150,000 to 250,000. I suppose an actual figure may never be known. Many more were made after as commemorative.

My first goal was to find material that may be close to and may be claimed as a reproduction of Civil War Era fabric. The fabrics that are used in the construction of the top are two by Judie Rothermel for Moda Fabrics Presents The Civil War Chronicles. The third is by Sara Morgan for Bluehill Fabrics, the Civil War Era C.1865.

The back fabric is a roll of cotton fabric that I discovered and thought it should be used to compliment the top. A further discussion of our construction of the top of CWR I can be found at My Quip Postings – Civil War Re-Enactment Quilt; Update #1; Update #2; Update #3; and Update.

The final dimensions of our CWR I are: Length 86” ( cms); and Width 69” ( cms). It is a wee bit smaller than the proposed dimensions for a Double-sized quilt but somewhat larger than the recommended Civil War Cot-size requirements.

Check out the quilting. We based the focus of the quilting on the Baptist, or Methodist Fan style as what appears to have been one of the techniques of quilting used during that time period. Oh and by the way, there are approximately 104,000 stitches in the quilting.

Here are some images and close-ups.


If you are interested in CWR I, or any of our other quilts, and would like some more information of available quilts, regarding costs, shipping, and insurance, please check our Quilts SB Etsy shop.

Andy and I are moving at a steady pace with our quilt and fabric wall hanging work. Keep abreast of all updates. I have added a “Follow By Email” capability at the bottom right of each posting under The Grid. You can also become a Follower of Quilts SB. Click on the “Join this site” to follow Quilts SB.

Check out my new experimental format of my Blog, Quilts SB Test. Certainly would appreciate your feedback.

To see previously posted quilts, there is a visual Grid presentation at the bottom of the Quilts SB page. Move your cursor over any mini-picture found there and click to see an enlargement. Move your cursor to the "Q#" link to see the quilt's details. If the quilt’s title is highlighted in yellow or in red, it has found a home in a collection and is no longer available.

If you have any questions and/or comments please feel free to get in touch with me via email.

Enjoy,

Jim and Andy

No comments: