Sunday, October 21, 2012

My Quip - MQX West Winds Down - The Eagle Has Landed

Good Day,

Andy and I are all packed and Evolution and our Lucys are now on their way home to Tampa. I am thoroughly impressed at the strength of the organization and the committed work and due efficiency of all those concerned with the MQX leadership, staff, and volunteers. Next stop, New Hampshire, MQX East 2013.

Weather forecast for close to Portland, Oregon is possible snow, 6 to 10 inches, and cold rain and storms from Alaska. Andy and I are certainly glad that we're headed home to our warmth and sunshine. Thank you Portland.

One of the spectacular entries, a Large Pictorial Wallhanging Quilt, is the amazing art piece Standing Tall by Joanne Baeth, of Bonanza, Oregon.


As described by Joanne "The area where I live has a large population of wintering eagles. The sky and mountains were painted specifically for this quilt. The needles on the branches were thread painted using several colors of green to give dimension. The many feathers on the eagles were constructed individually, highlighted and shaded with inks, and attached by raw edge applique. To soften and blend the colors, this piece was quilted very heavily with a filler typle stitch that enhances the natural scene. The quilting is entirely hand-guided."

Here are a couple more of my images, but all-things-being-equal my photos cannot do true justice to the actual wallhanging.


I am not a quilt judge, but I see what I like. A beautiful work, Joanne.

Enjoy,

Jim

No comments: